Onion Juice For Hair
Hair loss is quite common and may involve bald patches, baldness or gradual thinning. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, about 80 million men and women in the United States have some degree of hair loss. The most common cause of hair thinning or loss is a hereditary condition called androgenetic alopecia. It can also happen as a side effect of some medications or because of hormonal changes. One home remedy that is highly recommended for the treatment for hair loss and many people may not have heard of is onion juice.
Onions that are normally seen as a humble kitchen staple may have many uses other than simply adding flavor to our food. It might sound surprising to you but onion juice is also a home remedy to treat your hair. Onions contain certain minerals, which are considered to be good for the hair. Anyone allergic to onions should avoid using onion juice on their hair. If still using and the smell is too much to stand one can try adding a little lemon juice or rose water which helps in lessening the odor.
Does onion juice work as a treatment for hair loss?
- Science proves that there are many ways onion juice can help with treating hair loss. For a start, onions are high in dietary sulfur which is a nutritional element our bodies need.
- Sulfur which is found within amino acids are components of protein. Proteins and especially keratin also is known to be sulfur-rich and are needed for growing strong hair.
- When added to hair and scalp onion juice provide extra sulfur. Sulfur support strong and thick hair, thus ending up preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth.
- Sulfur from onions also helps promote collagen production. Where collagen helps the production of healthy skin cells and hair growth.
- It is also highly beneficial in boosting circulation. Applying the onion juice or paste to the hair and scalp usually increase blood supply to hair follicles. This, in turn, improves hair growth and become one of the best hair loss treatment at home.
Our hair is made up of a special protein called keratin – which is high in sulfur. The presence of sulfur gives hair its shine, elasticity, and strength. if there is a lack of sulfur present in your hair it may end up causing weak, brittle hair that is easily broken. Sulfur also boosts blood circulation. This brings oxygen and nutrients to the scalp which helps hair to grow healthy and strong.
Onions are a particularly large source of flavonoids and are perhaps one of the main contributors of flavonoid intake in humans. Flavonoids are versatile compounds, and as such, they provide a number of functions in the plants they’re found within. One such plant is the onion, in which they serve as an antioxidant. For men suffering from male-pattern baldness, antioxidants can provide a number of benefits and can be used to treat your hair loss at home. One such benefit is the neutralization of free radicals, the molecules which are responsible for aging.
Benefits of onion juice for hair loss?
- The antibacterial and antifungal properties help to prevent and treat scalp infections. A healthier scalp will reduce hair loss.
- It contains natural and powerful antioxidants. The use of onion juices will battle premature greying of hair.
- When used regularly, onion paste or juice will not only nourish the hair, it will also create a natural shine for the hair. Over a period of time, this shine can become a permanent feature for your tresses.
- Onion juice or pulp, being pungent and able to fight infections also help with lice treatment and will prevent an infestation in the future.
- Onion juice mixed with coconut or jojoba oil have shown results of adding volume to the hair when used regularly.
- For treating dandruff, onion juice or pulp can be used on a weekly basis to clear the scalp.
- The onion pulp improves blood circulation in the scalp, promoting hair growth and health.
It has been scientifically proven that regular application of onion juice can help with hair loss. A study published in the journal of dermatology looked into the use of onion juice for alopecia areata which is an autoimmune condition that causes patchy hair loss. During research by world-renowned dermatologists, within six weeks of using onion juice 86.9% of participants experience new hair growth in the bald spots. In the experiment, men had better success with this treatment than women. While onion juice may be less in reducing the production of DHT found in the body, it can help to reduce the amount of DHT found on the scalp, reduce inflammation of the hair follicles, and reverse the effects of miniaturization of the hair follicles.
How to Apply it?
For those who want to benefit from using onion juice to improve hair health or promote regrowth, the process is simple.
- Start with peeling about four medium-sized onions and chop them into fine small pieces.
- Try to extract as much as you can of the juice from the onion by either squeezing it or using a juicer.
- Another option is placing the onion pieces into a blender and blending into a paste. Place the paste in a muslin cloth and squeeze all the juice out.
- Apply the juice to the scalp with a cotton pad or the hair roots.
- A few drops of essential oil may also help decrease the potent odor of the juice. Peppermint, lavender and rosemary essential oils can be good options to dilute the smell.
So, there you have it 7 Benefits of Onion Juice to treat hair loss at home & procedure to apply it.